Who can attend the training?
- Doulas who are certified through another organization but would like to add Certified HypnoDoula services to their practice
- Previously trained doulas who are not yet certified (you can finish certification through The Curtis Method)
- Labor and Delivery Nurses
What will you learn in the training?
- Every birth is a love story: The philosophy of The Curtis Method
- Transitioning from Panic to Power
- What is Hypnosis and how can it enhance your doula practice?
- The Laws of the Mind
- Creating a Relaxation Practice Nest
- Cataloguing birth beliefs and influences which might affect clients’ experiences
- The Fear-Tension-Pain cycle and how it affects birthing
- Sphincter Law: How deep relaxation makes birth easier and more comfortable
- Colors of Peace meditation and how to use it in labor
- The Hormonal Symphony of Labor
- Effective breathing techniques for Active Labor
- The truth about labor pain and labor pleasure
- Hypnotic Anesthesia: Using the mind-body connection to create relief and comfort
- Birth Sensation Reframing
- Entering hypnosis using a special keyword
- Using a Mother-centered Birth Vocabulary
- Positive Affirmations: Helping mothers retrain their minds to think positively and move beyond fear
- Hypnosis cues for entering deep relaxation quickly and easily
- Birth Instinct Anchoring
- The Shoulder Press: Your relaxation “button”
- Active – Alert Hypnosis: Using the natural movements and sounds of labor to DEEPEN a mother’s hypnotic relaxation.
- Sheet Massage, endorphin touch, scalp massage, hand and foot massage techniques to pamper mama during pregnancy, labor, birth, and postpartum.
- Optimal Fetal Positioning Script and techniques: Help expecting moms turn their babies into the best possible position for labor.
- Prenatal Bonding: Teaching expecting couples to create “Baby Love Moments”
- The Five Fundamental Fears and how to move beyond them
- Fear Releasing scripts and techniques
- Mother-directed pushing vs. coached pushing
- Visualizations for comfortable crowning
- The Six R’s: Encouraging Intuitive labor coping strategies
- The Six P’s: Interpreting a woman’s Birth Sounds
- Dance and Vocals for birthing
- Finding your Healing Place: Meditation for healing and recovery after the birth
In addition, this training will be a workshop of relaxation, rejuvenation and self-discovery for yourself as a birth worker. One of the key elements distinguishing a Hypno-Doula from a traditional doula is the ability to calm and relax your own emotional state, so that you bring only positive energy into the birthing space. Each day we will have time for journaling, mindfulness and meditation, yoga breathing and stretches, and time to connect and network with other doulas!
Who is the Instructor?
Lauralyn Curtis CBE, HBPLC, CD and founder of the Curtis Method of Childbirth Education, Hypnobirthing Utah, HypnoDoulas Utah, The Birth Year, and PlacentaWise, was trained and certified in childbirth hypnosis by Marie Mongan with The HypnoBirthing Institute of New Hampshire in 2009. She has now taught over 1000 couples along the Wasatch Front.
Lauralyn certified as a Professional Labor Companion with the HypnoBirthing Institute, along with completing the Hypnobabies HypnoDoula Course in 2010. She is also a traditionally trained doula, yoga teacher, and Certified Placenta Encapsulation Specialist. She attended many births of her student couples as a doula, putting into action the techniques that helped moms have their best births.
Lauralyn has trained and employed a wonderful group of women for HypnoDoulas Utah to support couples in their birth journeys. She is also the founder of the Facebook group Hypnobirthing Utah, which has grown to nearly 3000 active members, becoming a community resource for couples seeking a gentle birth.
What is the cost?
The cost of training is $475, which includes all of your class materials. A non-refundable deposit of $75 will hold your spot, and the balance will be due before the first day of training.
Current members of the Utah Doula Association are eligible for a discount $75 off the full tuition
When and Where are the trainings? How do I sign up?
Browse our calendar of upcoming trainings here, select a series, and register by making a deposit (add it to your cart and checkout).